Vaccines are the most effective way to protect against serious, and sometimes deadly, vaccine-preventable diseases. Most people know that children need to get childhood immunizations, however they may not realize adults also need stay protected.
Why do adults need to be vaccinated?
There are several reasons you may need vaccines as an adult:
- Protection by the MMR vaccine against childhood diseases like measles, mumps and rubella wears off over time.
- Depending on your age, lifestyle travel plans or medical condition, you may be at an increased risk for new or different diseases.
- As you get older, your risk of getting pneumonia or shingles increases. You may not have gotten some of the newer vaccines that are now available that can protect you against diseases.
- Viruses like influenza (the flu) changes every year as the worst viruses are tracked by Health Canada and the CDC, which is why it is recommended to get a flu shot each year.
- Getting vaccinated in adulthood helps to protect those around you, especially young children and the elderly.